Sunday, November 25, 2012

Oh, Christmas Tree!



With Thanksgiving now a thing of the past, we have our Christmas preparations well underway.  I am a traditionalist and usually save anything decoration-related for the first Sunday in Advent.  That's a week away though, and the excitement among the kids is palpable.  I figured I could break with tradition (gasp!) and make good use of the extra week this year.   Little Weed #4 has never celebrated Christmas before, so we are going all out to share with him the traditions and customs that are are part of Jesus' great big birthday party! 

Sweet One and Little Weed #4 have made lists of gift ideas to give to each member of the family.  Dr. Jiggles and Ziggity are counting down to their treasured uncle-time when the family comes into town.  Everyone had a hand today in creating this year's advent wreath.


Despite all of that excitement, decorating the tree was definitely the event of the weekend.  We all contributed to assembling the tree, but Little Weed #4 had the privilege of placing the top piece on his very first Christmas tree.  I think he enjoyed the honor.


As soon as we had it all lit, I realized that one little (or not-so-little) issue  might present itself.  When we hang the ornaments, our family tradition is for the whole family to help out, and the kids most enjoy placing ornaments that were given to them personally.  Even at their young ages, they walk down memory lane.

"Remember when I made this in preschool?"

"Aw, I remember when I got this funny boot!"

"This one is from the year I was born."

"See my picture in this one?  Wasn't I cute?"

It struck me that even though we have plenty of ornaments that are "all family" ornaments, and #4 could spend a long time helping with those, he would undoubtedly point out that there were no ornaments that were "his." 

I decided to postpone the ornamentation of the tree until I could remedy the situation.  ( I claimed fatigue and said it would have to wait until the next day.)  Meanwhile, I darted out to the store and did some quick ornament hunting.  I immediately found a really cute bird, which I knew he simply had to have.  I also found a fisherman Snoopy and a gingerbread house ornament, both of which I knew he would like.  I was looking for something a little more personal though. The pre-fab personalized ornaments didn't include his name, and the "First Christmas" designs were all obviously for babies.  And then I saw it.  It is intended for couples, but it fit so perfectly that I just had to have it.  "Our First Christmas Together" is almost certainly going to be the one he treasures the most.  He made sure it was the very first ornament on the tree.



Not surprisingly, Little Weed #4 ran to get his camera and took pictures of each of his ornaments on the tree.  Then we posed  with the finished product.


If this weekend is any indication, the next 30 days are gonna be fun, fun, fun!

1 comment:

  1. I have been moved by many of your posts but the ornament of your first Christmas together takes the cake. Tears are flowing. And can I just tell you how much I love how #4 uses his camera to capture the moments! What is he doing with all his pics??

    ReplyDelete