Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A "duh" moment

As mentioned at the end of my last post, I recently came across a perfectly worded, perfectly timed blog written by Dana Ball, another adoptive mom of an older child.  She's been in the trenches for a few years and is able to provide insight on a number of things through the unique perspective of hindsight.  It is such a blessing to have other adoptive parents so willing to share their experiences and wisdom.

Well, I so enjoyed that post that I clicked over to read more of her blog.  That's when I came across this post, entitled "It's Jesus' Birthday and He Doesn't Mind." I have read much of this information before.  I know that holidays are rough on kids that are newly home (and some that are not so newly home.)  Changes in routine can be too much for the fragile expectation of what each day might bring.  I knew all this but somehow never applied it to our own situation.  Little Weed #4 has been doing so remarkably well and is such a "normal" kid that I somehow didn't think it applied to us.

I think I may have been mistaken.

I suspect that all our efforts to share with #4 the fun of Christmas may have set him up for the struggles we've recently experienced.  There has been so much change in recent weeks.  Our home looks different.  We're venturing out on holiday shopping excursions.  Our morning routine is altered to include an angel hunt, an advent calendar, and a special advent devotion.  As the blog reminds me, even "happy change is still stressful."

Talk about a "duh" moment.  How could I have been so blind?!?

But I love the encouragement and affirmation Dana provides reminding me that it IS Jesus' birthday, and he wants us to celebrate it by doing what is best for our family, especially our newest addition. 

For our family members that may read this, there is no underlying message or hidden agenda in sharing this post.  Not one of you is "Aunt Susie" of Dana's post. :) We look forward to celebrating with you!  It will be helpful for you, though, to understand that #4  will view every single detail of the holiday through a completely different lens than the rest of us.  Things might be a little more low key around here, but we will enjoy every minute of your presence. 

It's Jesus' birthday and He doesn't mind...so why should we?

No comments:

Post a Comment