Thursday, January 17, 2013

David and Goliath

Tonight I was reading the story of David and Goliath to Little Weed #4 for the very first time.  We had talked about the fact that David was just a boy and #4 knew from the story a few nights ago that God had hand-picked David for special things, especially eventual kingship.  When he saw the picture of Goliath the giant, he said, "Oh, big bad guy."  We talked about how Goliath was nine and a half feet tall!  That's almost to the ceiling!  The conversations then went something like this:

Me:  "David ran up to the front lines just as Goliath was coming out.  He said what he usually said, and David heard it.  David asked the men standing near him, 'Who is this Philistine to defy the army of God?'"

#4:  Uh-oh.

Me: What's wrong?

#4:  David have God's power.  God say "fall down," guy fall down.

Me:  Oh, wait till you hear how it turns out!

I continued on to tell him the rest of the story of Goliath's defeat by this little boy with no armor or battle weapons. 

#4:  See?  God power bigger.

Oh, be still my heart.  My little boy is getting it.  He is beginning to truly understand the might of his Father in heaven.  Wow.

But that's not the end of the story.  A few minutes later, after prayers and hugs and night-time snuggles, he said, "Mom, I prayed to God for power, and He not listen.  How come not?"

I asked him what power he asked for, fully expecting him to respond with something like flying, air-bending, or fire-throwing.  But no.  He said, "I not know.  I just ask power."

I said, "Well, maybe He did answer.  Maybe He gave you the power to love or have patience or be kind or brave."  He thought about that for a few seconds, smiled, and said, "Yes, I think so."  With that he closed his eyes with that cute little smile still in place.

I thank God for his hand in my son's life and every ounce of power He's provided. 

1 comment:

  1. Faith like a child. So love this story. Why do us grown ups go and make it so confusing sometimes?! I can picture that sweet smile you must be referring to from the pictures you have posted previously. so happy to hear how great things are going.

    ReplyDelete