With the new year, came a new school subject for Little Weed #4. He now knows enough English that I felt he could enjoy the projects that come with our ancient history curriculum. We started out talking about the Mesopotamians and their ziggurats and the Egyptians with their pyramids. Because every bit of this is new vocabulary, we do a fair amount of review each and every day. We have mentioned that a ziggurat was a kind of a temple too many times to count.
Concurrent with this, we also received a hand-me-down play tent from an older girl. This renewed a forgotten interest in indoor tent play. It started with happy sharing of the new-to-us tent (which I delicately explained was for boys AND girls since it had pink AND blue on it).
It didn't take long for #4 to approach me and tell me that he needed a temple of his own.
What? A temple?
He went on to explain that he needed a temple just like Sweet One's.
Oh! A tent... I just love cute word mix-ups. (We went through a similar fun one when the word "zero" was pronounced "zebra" for a span of several months. Math time often sounded more like zoology at times, I think.)
I gently corrected him several times, but when bedtime came and he asked Sticks if he could sleep in a temple, we decided to just go with it. We pulled out our old Buzz Lightyear "temple" and set it up in his room. He was completely delighted and - much to my delight - slept in an hour longer than normal. We have continued to allow him to sleep in his temple for the past several nights, and he is just loving it.
So, if anyone wants to join us this summer on a camping trip, please remember to bring your own temple.

No comments:
Post a Comment