The final (and most anticipated) "Mom Date" was with Sweet One. She was just dying to know what I had planned for us, but had to wait until the night before to find out the details. She was bursting with anticipation!
We started out the date by swinging by our local DVD rental stand to rent the most recent American Girl movie, "Saige Paints the Sky". I had hoped to watch it together later that afternoon to cap off the date, but she was so eager to see it that she conned me into letting her watch it on the way to the date spot. While I couldn't see the movie, I could hear it. The message was decent, but the overacting and giggly girl theme was almost too much for me. I worked hard to control my gag reflex and maintain a smile on my face as Sweet One gushed over what a great movie it was. I think it might have been more tolerable if I could have seen the visuals, but maybe not. :)
We arrived at the American Girl Store a few minutes before our reservation at the Bistro, so we took advantage of the fact that there was no line in the doll salon and took Kaya (the doll) to have her ears pierced. No kidding.
Next was lunch. They really do know how to do it up for the little ladies. The wait staff was simply wonderful to my Sweet One and treated her doll just as well.
During lunch, we talked about all sorts of things. I learned that Sweet One hopes to one day either be a food girl (waitress) or a hair and makeup girl or a teacher. Sounds a lot like motherhood to me!
After a wonderful lunch, we participated in a couple of activities. Sweet One built a hot air balloon out of Model Magic and then completed a scavenger hunt through the store for Saige-themed clues.
The place was an absolute marketing marvel and a wonderland for doll-lovers. It was also the epitome of excess. Sadly, although there were many wonderful mother-daughter pairs walking around appreciating the wonder of it all, it did bring out the worst in a few little girls there - and their mothers. Thankfully, my little girl was able to reign in that natural lust for stuff that is inevitable when surrounded by that kind of marketing magic, and we chose one small and useful accessory for the lucky Kaya doll.
Sweet One was positively glowing for the rest of the day. I'm pretty sure I hit the mark dead-on on this Mommy-Daughter date! It will be a special memory for both of us for a long time to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment