Friday, June 21, 2013

A Date with Dr. Jiggles

For three of my four kids, this week has been a camp week.  That meant Dr. Jiggles had every afternoon to himself.  My quiet kid savored every moment.

I had intended to make sure to spend some quality one-on-one time with Dr. Jiggles throughout the week, but a leaking washing machine, water in the basement, two visits from our plumber and one from an appliance repairman, and a haircut appointment intruded on the early part of the week.  So, we decided Thursday was "our day." 
Determining what that "fun" might be had been a little challenging.  Dr. Jiggles is a low-maintenance kid and doesn't make many specific requests.  When I asked him a few days before if he had any ideas about special things he'd like to do, he gave me a shrug and an "I don't know."  I had a few ideas, but they were pretty lame, so I turned to Sticks for some advice.  He came up with some great options that, when presented to Dr. Jiggles, inspired raised eyebrows and a few "hmmmm..."s.

We dropped Little Weed #4 at his camp and headed out for a few hours of fun.  First on the docket was putt putt golf.  There was a group of about a kazillion camp kids just ahead of us, so we waited to start for a good 20 minutes or so.  While we waited, we came up with our own personal putt-putt design for the ultimate course. Should we ever have unlimited funds, we might invite you to our jungle-themed course complete with live monkeys!

When we finally started our round, I realized I could hang pretty close to my golfing guru, but it was going to be a struggle - especially with the distraction of his very entertaining antics.

 


The 10 year old prepares for "his" hole.




We finished strong, but he beat me handily.  At least I can walk away with some really fun memories.

Next we headed over to Barnes and Noble for some book time.  We originally planned to hang out there for an hour or so (practically paradise for my little bibliophile), but our golf game took twice as long as anticipated.  Dr. Jiggles playfully suggested that I could make it up to him by buying him a book in lieu of the book and bonding time. I agreed and ended up buying more than one to complete an ever-growing set of 39 Clues books he began collecting several years ago.

No date would be complete without a little something sweet, so we dashed through the local yogurt shop where Dr. Jiggles got a little yogurt to go with his abundance of toppings.

 
I don't often get to spend one-on-one time completely and totally focusing on Dr. Jiggles, but I sure did enjoy making some special memories with my little treasure today.  He's a pretty cool kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment