I hadn't planned on blogging today. But then a few things happened that I needed to process and that I want to remember in the future as part of the whole experience.
First though, I'd like to say that any uncertainty about the dog has vanished. Rudolfo is now completely comfortable around her and really enjoys feeding her at her mealtimes.
The second point of interest is that Rudolfo is developing some stranger anxiety. This is fabulous to see. He had none in China, but in the past two days has backed away when he sees an unfamiliar face at the door, has been hesitant to meet other kids while playing outside, and flat-out refused to enter the home of a neighbor where the other kids were making a quick visit. To some, this might seem like regression or backsliding for a naturally outgoing kid, but to me it looks like he is recognizing that we are his safe place and that we are his and he is ours. I couldn't ask for better assurance that we are continuing to move along in the attachment process.
So, jet lag is still rearing its ugly head, and I was awake for the day at 2 AM with the youngest three all awake by 4. I insisted that everyone stay in their beds until 5, so at 5:01, we were up and putting together puzzles in our play room. We then moved on to the dollhouse where Rudolfo set up the whole family, fed the babies, and made sure the cribs were in the room right next to the mommy's and daddy's room. Soon thereafter, Rudolfo discovered a K-nex kit that had yet to be constructed. It said 7+, but I've noticed he is an awesome little builder, so I thought we'd give it a go. It didn't take long and a few hours later, we had a merry-go-round swing ride! Christmas is gonna be so easy this year... if he can build it, he will love it!
While we were building, my mom came up to the room and explained that she had put a baggie of medicine deep in a desk drawer in our guest room. It was now missing. There were some heavy duty meds in there (not to mention that step-dad needs to take them on schedule). We had no one outside the family in the house, and I know my oldest three are very respectful of guest room space. That left only Rudolfo to question. I asked him with my translator app if he know where Grandpa's medicine was. He pointed to the basement where the guest room is, so down we went. There was very little time yesterday when Rudolfo was unattended, so I quickly questioned the other kids to see if any of them had seen him go in the guest room or have a bag of meds that looked a whole lot like candy in his hands. They hadn't. In the guest room, I opened the drawer in question. There was a toy in the drawer that we hadn't noticed in there before. We thought that might indicate that he had traded the toy for the meds. I asked him where the medicine was. He said he didn't know. I told him that he wasn't in trouble; we just needed to find the medicine so Grandpa didn't get sick. He again told me he didn't know where it was.
My mind was racing. He didn't look guilty. He hadn't shown any signs of hoarding (a common issue for orphans). He hadn't lied to us at any point since we met him. Taking something that wasn't his seemed uncharacteristic. Yet, I've only known him for 13 days. That's not enough time to know that he was telling the truth. We searched the basement for nearly two hours. I searched his room, his backpack, and anywhere I thought he might hide a treasure. I questioned him gently again and again. We even offered a reward, saying that whoever found the medicine first would win a candy bar. Still, no medicine. I emailed my Chinese-speaking friends and my agency director. I felt I needed to be sure I was communicating VERY clearly. We decided that even though he seemed innocent enough, without having found the meds, we had to make sure that just in case he had stashed them somewhere, someone had to be with him every moment. We simply couldn't risk him trying to eat one of those pills on the sly. A few hours later, I asked him again about the medicine. He looked me straight in the eye and told me he didn't know. I told him that if he found them, he should not eat any. They would make him very sick. He said he understood. My friend called and told him the same thing in Mandarin. He again said he understood. I told him I was very sad that the medicine was missing. He gave me a hug and rubbed my back. I was thinking, "Either this kid really doesn't have anything to do with the missing meds or he is the best liar on the face of the earth." I hated to even think that he was lying, but I had to consider it - even assume it for his well-being. I was just sick over the whole thing - doubting my sweet son, wondering how I was going to handle lying and stealing if that is what was going on, knowing he could be in danger if he had taken them and knew where they were hidden, not being sure that we were communicating fully, watching him begin to realize that I didn't fully trust what he was saying, but sticking solidly to his story...
And then I went down to the guest room to retrieve a pair of shoes for Grandpa. While I was down there, I decided to pull out all the desk drawers one more time. I was down on my knees looking behind a drawer when I glanced sideways. Nestled in the side of an open bag was the corner of a plastic baggie. I looked more closely and then rejoiced - the medicine had been found. In what must have been a "senior moment", my mom had moved the meds from the drawer to the safer location in her bag and forgotten that she had done it. She had even searched that bag earlier and had missed the meds.
I was so relieved. My son was telling the truth. He was safe from harm. Grandpa could take his meds (albeit quite late). I had earned a candy bar! I thanked God for all of that and then went to go show the kids that I had found the missing "treasure." We all cheered, I gave Rudolfo an extra tight squeeze, and then thanked him for helping us look for them. He just smiled back at me.
Not long after, this appeared in the sky. We rushed outside to take a good long look. It was beautiful. It once was and still is a promise of grace.
There's power in a promise!
And then we celebrated again by jumping in puddles.
My goal today was to stay awake until 9. I've surpassed my goal by 23 minutes, so I'm off to fall in a heap on my bed. I hope to stay there (asleep) for at least 7 hours. I've had an eventful day and could really use some solid rest. But before I do, I think I'll thank God one more time that I've been shown I have an honest little boy, kids committed to helping with the hunt, and a (slightly forgetful) mom who showed concern for the situation without accusation or anger.
Good night!




Such a wonderful story, Melissa, told step by step. and SUCH a sweet, honest boy you have there who is trying to understand all of the new expectations that his new life demands. God is blessing you and us all through this journey. Love you all. and get some sleep. Mom W
ReplyDeleteAnd the truth shall set him free...
ReplyDelete