Sunday, August 19, 2012

Shopping and Swimming

We had decided on a slow-paced day today.  I’m not sure it turned out that way, but that was the initial goal.  We met our guide, Connie, at 10.  Okay, we all slept till around 9, so by the time we ate breakfast, exchanged currency, and made several runs back up to the room for forgotten items, it was actually more like 10:30. 

Our first stop was the pearl and jade market.  It’s an entire mall made of beads, crystal, pearls, and jade.  I think it must be wholesalers aimed at retailers, because this was way overboard for the general public.  Anyway, Little Weed #4’s province is known for its jade.  All the medals presented at the 2008 Olympics had a jade center made from Xinjiang’s white jade.  Since we didn’t make the time for shopping while we were in Xinjiang, we thought the jade market (with jade imported from Xinjiang) might be the next best thing.  And our guide was more than happy to help us with shopping for quality as well as negotiating price.  We were hoping to find something special for #4 as a special reminder of his first home.  We didn’t know exactly what we were looking for, and nothing really jumped out at us as the perfect thing.  We ended up getting him a little jade dragon pendant to wear around his neck.   Sweet One and I also got pretty little jade circle pendants to commemorate the trip. 
After dropping that chunk of change, we headed over to Shamian Island for some good old fashioned cheap souvenir shopping.  This used to be the place where all adoptive families stayed and ate and shopped.  Now, with the White Swan hotel closed for renovation, there are only a handful of stores remaining.  We were the only customers in several of the stores we entered.  Sad.

The first place we went was “Amy’s.”  The storekeeper started chatting with me about the kids and expressed her appreciation for adoptive families.  She was very sweet.  She asked me if I was a Christian.  I told her I was.  She said, “I am Catholic.  We are sisters.”   She gave me a big hug – very atypical for China, I think.  But appreciated.   
Next we went to Michael’s and hit the jackpot for fun gifts and trinkets.  I had hoped to do as we had for Sweet One and get #4 a small gift to be given on his adoption day anniversary each year.  It is much way easier to shop for a little girl baby who is oblivious to what is being purchased than it is for a little boy who is rushing around the store and watching you like a hawk to see what you might be buying.  I was only able to get 5 or 6 items for him, so I will either need to visit China again within the next 6 years or shop online instead.  J 
The funniest part of our time there was when I spotted a silk brocade dress I was interested in.  I asked her if they came in my size.  She looked at me and said, “Yes, I think we have extra- large.”  I couldn’t help laugh and tease her.  I am by no means tiny, but I am NOT an extra- large by any definition (except the Chinese one.)  I asked her if I could try it on to make sure if fit around the chest.  She giggled and said she wasn’t worried about the bust; she was worried about my hips!  Well!  Sticks jumped all over that little comment and then couldn’t resist asking if they had anything in his size.  No response there, but when we later passed a huge sculpture of a laughing Buddha, our guide pointed it out to #4 and said, “Look!  It’s Baba.”  He’s such a good sport and took it all in stride.
Our last stop was the special store of an elderly chop carver.  Chops are the red stamp signatures you see on Chinese art and documents.   Sticks got one made for himself with his name in English and then the Chinese characters for his initials.  His middle initial happens to sound similar to the Chinese word for “emperor,” so he thought that was entirely appropriate to be part of his chop.  Sheesh. 


We also picked up a small chop for #4.  It is traditional for the top of the chop to have a carving of the Chinese zodiac animal for the person’s birth year.  #4 was born in the year of the dog.  We asked him to pick out his favorite dog carving.  He told the guide he was not a dog; he was a dragon.  The funny part about that is that we are IN the year of the dragon, so that would mean he was 12.  Since he had a jade dragon around his neck and this chop would be something he would keep for years to come, we decided to insist that he choose a dog.  He complied but later shook his head and reminded everyone that he was a dragon, not a dog.  This kid is something else. 
We were all shopped out by this time and headed back to the hotel.  Sticks got in a bit of a workout while the Fairy Godmother read and I took the kids for a swim.  We rode the elevator down with a family who was also headed to the pool.  We got to chatting.  They have their 11 year old son with them and met their new 6 year old son the same day we met ours.  It turns out they live in our state (in the same city Sticks’ middle brother spent 4 years)!  We come all the way to China and meet folks who are virtually neighbors.  (Humming “It’s a Small World After All…”)
Our swim time was a blast.  Ziggity and Dr. Jiggles had all kinds of fun swimming laps, goofing around, and just blowing off steam.  #4 had a better handle this time on the fact that breathing under water is very difficult without gills.  He shows no fear and is so eager to learn.  I am convinced that given the chance, he may swim his first strokes before the neighborhood pool closes for the summer.  
Sweet One had some trouble at the pool because I had to be within arm’s reach of #4 at all times.  She is so conflicted between being a good and welcoming big sister and feeling the jealousy of seeing all the attention that he absolutely needs right now.  She had a pretty serious case of the whineys, but we did our best to give her a little grace while reminding her that all was well and using a regular big-girl voice was entirely appropriate.  Ziggity is especially fed up with Sweet One’s antics, so we are hoping to give them each a little extra  space this evening.
Here is #4's use for the kite we bought him today.  Superhero wings!
Dinner was authentic Mexican.  Yum.  When we started walking back, #4 reached up and asked me to carry him.  Now, I would normally say that a 6 year old is big enough to walk.  BUT this six year old is so completely independent and resourceful that it has been a challenge to find ways to meet his needs and further trust in us and attachment to us.  I couldn’t have been more pleased to honor his request.  The Fairy Godmother attempted to capture the moment, but #4 wasn’t too thrilled with the paparazzi.  Until he realized that he could be very silly and get a laugh out of us all.  :)



We came back so Fairy Godmother could whisk Sweet One and Dr. Jiggles off to an early bedtime.  ZIggity, #4 and Baba went down with bread in hand to say goodnight to the Koi.  Sticks has photos and video on his phone, so I’m hoping he’s able to post to FB, but we discovered that #4 is quite the fisherman.  Apparently, he found a stick, placed a small piece of croissant on the end, and then after luring the Koi over to the bait, attempted to grab them out of the water with his hands!  I wish I could I have seen that. 
We’re closing out the evening with some fun in the room, alternating iPhone racing with an ongoing ticklefest. 
Gotta go settle the troops so we get some rest before tomorrow’s adventures!
P.S.  Sticks and I each got our very own first kisses at bedtime.  Great way to end the day.

5 comments:

  1. So pleased to hear that it sounds like you had a very nice day! I hope the Emperor is feeling better too! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still enjoying your updates and praying for you, Sticks and all of the kiddos daily...and the Fairy Godmother who sounds like she is earning some serious crowns in heaven! Lots of change and activity going on for everyone ~ praying for rest and strength for each of you. And extra large?? REALLY?? You are not an extra large even by Chinese standards! Hang in there - you're getting close! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying reading about your adventures. Your family is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy you decided to blog. You are doing a brilliant job of making us folks at home feel a little part of it all. The last couple of days would leave me exhausted. I am wondering when everyone blames jetlag as the cause of their fatigue once home whether the truth is the last 2 weeks + the plane ride/time change are all kicking their bottom?! Thinkig when DH feels better that #4 needs an official blog name! Also thinking the PT in you should evaluate your lifting technique of #4. LOL, after the magnitude of that opportunity was appreciated that was the next detail I saw ;) Looking forward to hearing about these last few days. You will be home before you know it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige, that was the FIRST detail I saw when I looked through the photos. Heavens! You mean it's not okay to just hang out on my ligaments while holding a 40 pound child? It keeps my fellow PT friends in business!

      Delete