Tuesday, August 21, 2012

We have an approved immigrant... and a swimmer!

We started out the day a little too early for everyone.  It was the first time I had to coax Rudolpho out of bed, and he was not too happy about that.  Luckily, tomorrow is a completely "free" day, so he we can all sleep as long as we want to. 

After getting dressed, Rudolpho discovered that his minnow had expired overnight.  I thought he might be upset, but he simply came and got me, pointed to the fish, put his hands around his neck and fell backward onto his bed dead as a doornail.  I laughed and realized he was okay with the whole thing.  I asked him if we should put the fish back in the pond or flush him.  I got an emphatic "bu!" (no).  We were going to eat him!  Um... "bu" right back at you, buddy.

We had our consulate appointment at 10:30.  We arrived pretty early and were the first family through security.  We waited for a while as the other 23 families arrived for the oath and paperwork processing.  Our guide had explained to Rudolpho that we were going to the consulate so that he could become an American.  Boy, did that get a big grin!  Interestingly, when it came time to take the oath, we raised our right hands and he suddenly became a little overwhelmed and focused all his attention on the chalkboard next to him.  Sweet One was into it though and raised her hand with utter resolve.  So cute.

After the oath, we were called up to the window to complete the final steps in this marathon of paperwork processing.  I signed my name for the last time (I think) in this process and was given verbal approval to bring my little immigrant into the country.  Our guide will pick up his visa tomorrow along with the packet that makes him a citizen as soon as we touch down at the airport in the U.S. 

Back at the hotel, we hooked back up with the Fairy Godmother and the boys who had gotten to sleep in and enjoy a leisurely breakfast.  We hung out for a bit and then hit the pool again. 


Rudolpho is one determined little boy and was determined to swim.  Our last pool experience was a good one.  He got used to feeling buoyant and tried putting his face in the water several times.  He still tended to inhale while under the water though, so there was the spitting and sputtering to overcome.  This time, we decided to show him how to blow bubbles.  He mastered that and then placed himself on his belly on the top step of the steps.  He pushed himself forward with his face underwater and made "swimming motions."There was also a lot of face underwater and arms moving, but feet on the pool bottom.  And then, voila!, he picked up his feet.  He swam several strokes!  It's not efficient...  I think he may have propelled himself a grand total of 4 inches, but he did it.  He was proud, I was proud, and the whole family cheered for him.  He continued to work on his skills for another 2 hours.  He spent a lot of time bobbing in the water on Zach's back (under the water to blow bubbles; above the water for a breath).

 Like I said, determined.  And now exhausted.  But happy.


During our pool time, I had the privilege of meeting a couple other families there with their children.  Two families in particular really touched me.  Both adopted older girls.  One family is sending their (previously) youngest child off to college next week.  They were looking forward to retirement.  And then some friends of theirs who work at a summer camp held for orphans in China told them about the plight of older girls who "age out" of the orphanage.  Some orphanages allow children over 14 to remain living and / or working at the orphanage until adulthood.  But many don't.  The options for a teenage orphan girl are few.  And of those options most are horrific to imagine.  These friends asked them if they would consider adopting one of the girls who had attended the camp.  They said no.  The friends asked them if they would at least be willing to open their minds and hearts to the idea if that is where God led them.  Well, guess where God led them.  They not only adopted that 10 year old girl, but her 12 year old best friend.  So cool.  The other family I talked to for a short time had their newly adopted 13 year old with them.  She was a stunning young girl and full of smiles.  I can't imagine the challenges these families will face raising girls who have never known "family" into young women, but I am positive the reward will be great for all involved.  

With pool time over, we had a quick dinner out (not pizza this time) and are now settled down for a little TV time. Or play time.  However it works out... 



It's raining, so there will be no fishing today.  And no dead minnows in the morning. 

Good night!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like "mission accomplished"!!!! Now all that's left is to get home. Yeah! Already praying for seven guardian angels to fly coach. God bless and keep you all. Love, G'ma J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...love that last photo of two brothers together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! I checked in this morning to read the great news but didn't have time to write. But I truly can't even begin to tell you how full my heart is with Joy! Actually it makes me want to cry! Samuel has truly made you all his family and that is perfectly clear in all these pictures what incredible growth in bonding in such a short time! Quite obvious it's definitely a God thing for this all to happen! One more day in China and then you get to come home! But there is a selfish part of me that I must confess to and that is I think I'm going to really miss watching this journey! Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete